Monday, April 6, 2015

Keeping us in the dark (chocolate)

The FDA made a big announcement in February, right before Valentine’s Day, that they had tested 100 different dark chocolate bars which supposedly do not contain milk, and found that many of them actually did contain milk. But the FDA refused to list the specific bars that tested positive or negative for milk.

I’m a little baffled by the FDA’s continued failure to release this information. So I’m trying a FOIA request: “The FDA recently tested dark chocolate bars for the presence of milk, and announced a summary of the results: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm433555.htm. I am requesting the specific results underlying the summary: which bars were tested by the FDA (brand, flavor, and any other identifiers), and the amounts of milk found in each bar tested.”

If I get any actual information by doing this, I’ll share it here.

No comments: