Saturday, December 23, 2017

Using Skype on Mac OS 10.7

Skype has been removing the ability of older Mac operating systems to run either the Skype application or Skype through a web browser. Here’s what worked for me today to get Skype working on a Mac running OS 10.7.5.

Download Skype 6.15.0.335, which was the latest version of the application that can open on my Mac.

Right-click or Control-click on Skype in the Finder and select Show Package Contents.

Navigate to Contents folder and open the file Info.plist in TextEdit.

Change "6.15" and "6.15.0.335" (two locations) to "7.59". That makes it look like you're running a current version of Skype.

Save the file, and launch Skype. Login as usual.

I have no idea if there are terrible security vulnerabilities to doing this. But Skype finally worked without forcing me to upgrade my operating system just to talk to my parents.

No comments: