Thursday, January 17, 2008

If you were a work of art: comments

Results of the most recent poll:

If I were a work of art, I’d want to be a:
painting (1)
sculpture (2)
artist’s book (1)
film (1)
caricature (0)

I’m very curious whether this was an easy choice or a random pick. I chose artist’s book because of the interactive nature of the medium that draws in the viewer. Also, I really like many artist’s books. But I saw some at least off-the-cuff reasons to choose the others: a painting is accessible to many people, a sculpture can seem the most likely to have an animus or spirit, a film is modern and multimodal, and a caricature makes people smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, it seemed obvious, although I'm not sure I can articulate exactly why. Mostly, I suppose, because I like sculpture, just as you like art books.

On the other hand, as with you, I could defend the other choices just as easily as the one I made. But I didn't make them, so I don't have to.

Thanks,
-V.

Michael said...

I would have expected you to pick film, somehow. Probably because of the annual Christmas vote.