Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cars and guns

40 minutes into Boston this morning, 12 minutes back. Who was it that decided people should all go to work during rush hour? And why do they all work downtown?

There are 40% fewer gun licenses in my town than 6 years ago. Are there 40% fewer guns? 40% fewer gun crimes? Have the demographics changed so much in 6 years that there are 40% fewer applications for gun licenses? Or are we processing so many people through the criminal justice system that the police department has an excuse to turn down that many more applications?

Today’s post brought to you by the number 40.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why do they all work downtown?

Because wherever everybody works is downtown.

The license thing is odd--can you get the data on the next-door towns? The towns are big enough that I would expect the total numbers to have some heft, right? So it's not just the one gun shop closing or something like that. I wonder if I can get those numbers from my town...

Thanks,
-V.

Michael said...

And when they all go to work is rush hour. I know, and I’m glad I don’t work downtown.

It’s dropped 20% across the state, with variation in individual towns. The licenses need to be renewed every 6 years, and I wonder whether this is really just a lot more unlicensed guns. Luke had a dog license every so often, since it was an unimportant and unenforced annual renewal. I’d like to believe the gun licenses are handled more carefully.