Thursday, December 27, 2007

Office progress


I may have finally found the new ceiling fan for my office. I’ve spent far too much time looking at ceiling fans on the web and in stores, and haven’t really been satisfied with any of the options. Lisa and I had just concluded that we should give up and look at new designs in 6 months, when one of the web sites I’d been perusing suddenly added a brand new line from The Period Arts Fan Company. And there was the Altus fan, which we both looked at and said “Ah!”



We’ve also selected a floor for my office: Mirage 3/4" solid wood yellow birch, select and better, matte finish, in a 3 1/4" width. The lengths will be shorter than I’d really prefer—that’s the nature of modern flooring. Much of it will have to be covered by a rug or a cork mat or something to protect it from the office chairs, but I’ll definitely feel better knowing that there is an actual wood floor in the room.



We learned from visiting my artist brother-in-law’s newly completed studio room that we should use an eggshell finish on the walls and a flat finish on the ceiling to reflect the light most gently (with the least glare). Soft chinchilla is a leading candidate for the wall color—it looks more green or more blue depending on the lighting, so it may be the right compromise between blue and green. It should contrast nicely with the white trim, and it should have enough gray in it to recede. We’ll have to get a test can and see how it looks.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Side note on ceiling fans: it’s amazing to me how little technical data is available about ceiling fans that cost hundreds of dollars. At Lowes, every ceiling fan lists the CFM and watts used for each fan speed. If you care about having a true low speed, or want to know that the fan can push a huge amount of air on high, or care about energy efficiency, that sort of data is useful. I want to know how many lumens will actually get through the fan’s lamp diffuser, but that’s apparently not something I’m supposed to care about.

And almost every expensive ceiling fan is shown in photos with an absurdly long downrod, which makes many fans look far more interesting than they are in real life in normal height rooms. (I’d prefer not to install my fan so the blades are at neck level, thanks.) The Altus photo in this post is doctored in Photoshop so I could see what it would look like with a short downrod, the way that I will actually have to install it.