Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Without wireless Internet: comments

This is a comment thread for the current poll. Having only intermittent wireless Internet service over the past couple of day has been like being on vacation in a remote location. A working vacation, where I play full-time tech support. Over 48 hours, I’ve lost the wireless side of my SMC router, forced the Apple Store to replace one of my two defective Airport Express routers (which get my vote for least reliable piece of hardware ever created), disassembled an original graphite Airport base station to see if the WaveLAN card inside it would be usable elsewhere, set up my MacBook to act as a temporary part-time router, ordered a new Linksys router (WRT54GL), and reconfigured the temporary network a whole lot of times. Next I’m going to see if I can use the spare 2 pairs in the house’s CAT-5 wiring as Ethernet cabling while leaving the other 2 pairs live as phone lines. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Final poll results

Without wireless internet access, I would:
watch more television (1)
read more books (2)
use the telephone (1)
sit in a corner and cry (2)
live as usual, because I don’t have wireless Internet access (1)

6 people voted, more than one answer allowed.