Thursday, December 13, 2007

Public Transit?

Sometimes public transit doesn't involve much actual transit.

There was a little accident in the Boston subway this morning. Nothing major, just one train rear-ending another which closed down the green line for a couple of hours while they got the injured train back on the rails. So to get across town I had the choice of taking a train one stop to get to the bus which would take me to work, or I could walk. I walked.

This afternoon everyone got out of work early because of the snow. But the green line was only running its normal middle-of-the-day number of trains. The station was so packed I couldn't get down the stairs. I walked to the red line.

After a detour in the wrong direction in the hope of getting a seat (yay! I didn't have to walk to Somerville!), the red line happily delivered me to Davis. And there was a bus! My bus! Completely full. . . I walked home. (And didn't feel like a fool because during the 45 minute walk along the bus route, nary a bus went by going my direction.)

2.5 hours instead of the more usual 1 hour. Not so bad really given how hard it was snowing. It wasn't windy, or sleeting, or particularly slippery. I had proper boots. So really, not much to complain about, except for that lack of transit in the public transit I supposedly use for my commute.

I hope everyone else is safely home and out of the weather.

No comments: